Launching commitfest.postgresql.org

From: Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Launching commitfest.postgresql.org
Date: 2009-07-09 16:06:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

2009/7/7 Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>:
> We're now about a week away from the start of the July 2009
> commitfest, and we need to make a decision about whether to start
> using http://commitfest.postgresql.org to manage it, or punt to the
> next commitfest and continue to use the wiki for July.

Thank you to everyone who commented in the parent thread. Robert
feels we're ready to go ahead and commission the new commitfest app
for the upcoming 'fest beginning 15 July, and he's asked me to do the
honours.

So, effective immediately, please treat
http://commitfest.postgresql.org as your authoritative source for
commitfests going forward.

The app is written and maintained by Robert Haas, and the source code
is located at:

web: http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=pgcommitfest.git
git: git://git.postgresql.org/git/pgcommitfest.git

Your login details for the app == your community login == your wiki login.

The overall workflow, structure and layout of the commitfest is pretty
much the same. The only material difference you'll notice is that
you're filling out forms with discrete fields instead of delicately
shunting curly braces and pipes around in a giant textarea.

Closed commitfests from the 8.4 cycle will continue to live in their
current form on the wiki.

The wiki page for 2009-First will shortly be replaced by a brief
boilerplate pointing to the new app. The patches currently on that
page will be copied to an archive page at
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/CommitFest_2009-First_Archive.

I would prefer to change the CommitFestOpen and CommitFestInProgress
redirects on the wiki to point at the app, but wiki redirects can only
link to other articles in the same wiki; external URLs are not
allowed. So both of these pages will continue to point at 2009-First,
which will instruct the user to go to the app.

I will be working my way through the Developer Information pages on
the wiki, updating as necessary. If you notice a page on the wiki
with out-of-date information regarding commitfests, feel free to ping
me about it (or fix it yourself; it is a wiki after all).

Cheers,
BJ