Re: What is the use of the CommitFestBlank template?

From: "Brendan Jurd" <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What is the use of the CommitFestBlank template?
Date: 2008-09-03 00:20:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 3:39 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> The description of the CommitFestBlank template suggests that it sets up
> an editable page for you, but AFAICT it does no such thing. I had to
> manually create all the right sections:
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/index.php?title=CommitFest:2008-11&diff=2260&oldid=2258
> in order to have a page that people could actually put patches into.

Hi Tom.

As the description says, you need to use *substitution* to import the
template's contents wholesale into the page you're editing. Quoth:

"""
This template is a useful way to create a blank CommitFest page. Just
start a new page and include the template's contents with

{{subst:CommitFestBlank}}
"""

It's all about the "subst:" at the start of the template call. This
will actually copy the contents of the template into the page source,
so that after you save your changes you will have a fresh, empty
commitfest page ripe for the editing.

Sorry about the confusion; I had assumed that since you created the
July and September commitfest pages, without complaint or comment,
that you'd worked out how to use CommitFestBlank.

For further reading about substitution in MediaWiki, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Substitution

Cheers,
BJ