Re: psql wrapped format default for backslash-d commands

From: "Brendan Jurd" <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Bryce Nesbitt" <bryce2(at)obviously(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: psql wrapped format default for backslash-d commands
Date: 2008-05-13 06:39:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2(at)obviously(dot)com> wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>> After experimenting for a bit, I'd say "never". This output format is
>> extremely ugly. Maybe if it had enough smarts not to break in the
>> middle of words ...
>> regards, tom lane
>
> Yet, wrapped is the same as aligned, if the lines fit!
>
> Ugly to wrap? Yes.
> Uglier than the sea of pipes you get when aligned output wraps itself?
>
> Well I suppose you have to pick your preferred version of ugly. I find it
> very hard to line up columns when presented with a sea of pipes, and highly
> annoying to constantly adjust my window width to see a query, especially if
> only one or two rows are too large.

I really like the idea of wrapping, but after playing with the format
a bit myself, I have to agree with Tom that breaking in the middle of
words produces some very nasty output.

If the format could be improved to only wrap on word boudaries, that
would increase its appeal dramatically.

Anybody got a rough idea how difficult it would be to add
word-awareness int o the wrapping code?

Cheers,
BJ