Re: A small rant about coding style for backend functions

From: "Brendan Jurd" <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A small rant about coding style for backend functions
Date: 2007-11-06 05:11:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11/6/07, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> I understand your suggestions but it seems there would be too many
> individual items to be readable. Can you suggest a full list so we can
> get an idea of how long it would be?

If the body of material on writing good Postgres code becomes so
comprehensive that it doesn't all fit on one page:

a) I would see that as a positive!
b) We can of course split it up into sub-articles.

I can't realistically suggest a "full list" since I am not an
experienced Postgres hacker. But I would hope for, as a minimum:

* the stuff about good GETARG style,
* something about using ereport() effectively, and writing
localization-friendly messages,
* some actual coding style guidelines.

Regards,
BJ