combining columns in select

From: Doug Thistlethwaite <doug(dot)t(at)deltanet(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql <pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: combining columns in select
Date: 1999-10-02 15:40:10
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hello,

I have a table used in a java application that I have been working fine
with ODBC & dbase that I want to move to pgsql. One of my select
statements is as follows

select lname + ', ' + fname as NAME from table ...

If I try to enter this into psql, I get an error. This same statement
works fine in the ODBC/dbase.

Why doesn't this work? Is there a work around so I can get columns of
concatenated text strings?

Thanks,

Doug