Re: [HACKERS] Operator definitions

From: Adriaan Joubert <a(dot)joubert(at)albourne(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Postgresql <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Operator definitions
Date: 1999-09-23 14:56:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> Adriaan Joubert <a(dot)joubert(at)albourne(dot)com> writes:
> > OK, here is a patch to allow both ^ and | as operators, both in operator
> > definitions and expressions. It seems to work for me. Unfortunately the
> > regression tests do not tell me an awful lot, as several of them fail on
> > the Alpha anyway. As I don;t really know what I'm doing, I'd appreciate
> > it if somebody else could check the patch out and let me know whether it
> > is ok.
>
> If you search for, eg, '%', you will find there are several production
> lists that call out all the operators; your patch only caught one of them.

Well, as I said, I don't really understand what is going on in that file
and I added the minimum to make my stuff work. Thomas said he was going
to have a look at it, so I think I'll rely on him fixing it, before I
break anything else ;-).

I've already noticed that I will need | as an operator for the SQL bit
types, so I may have to hack it a bit more. I just hate changing things
blindly I don't really understand. Thanks for pointing it out though!

Adriaan