Re: [HACKERS] Operator definitions

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Adriaan Joubert <a(dot)joubert(at)albourne(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Postgresql <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Operator definitions
Date: 1999-09-23 13:32:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > It looks to me like '^' and '|' have been left out of the alternatives
> > for MathOp in src/backend/parser/gram.y. It could be they were
> > deliberately omitted, but I bet it's just an oversight.
> OK, here is a patch to allow both ^ and | as operators, both in operator
> definitions and expressions. It seems to work for me. Unfortunately the
> regression tests do not tell me an awful lot, as several of them fail on
> the Alpha anyway. As I don;t really know what I'm doing, I'd appreciate
> it if somebody else could check the patch out and let me know whether it
> is ok.

It's fine as far as it goes, but istm that there are other cases
missing from gram.y also :(

Bruce, how did this stuff get into the stable release? Looks like we
are going to need a v6.5.3 Real Soon Now. And packagers, we should
plan on having a patch for v6.5.2. I'll try coming up with one in the
next couple of days; I've tested on my own gram.y but it has too many
other changes to be used as-is.

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California