Re: [HACKERS] Compile timing

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Compile timing
Date: 1999-09-22 21:08:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Someone mentioned that it took them quite a while to compile the
> PostgreSQL code. My wallclock time is 3:52 for a compile with -O1 using
> gcc 2.7.2.1. This is on a dual-PII 350MHz running BSD/OS 4.01.

Someone is me. Someone only has a Pentium 133 with 256K L2 cache and
32MB RAM. Someone is also running KDE/X on this laptop.

Using egcs 1.1.2 under Linux 2.2.5.(RedHat 6.0).

You have a machine that is 5 times faster than mine. Also, this is more
than a compile -- this is a whole sequence of events -- cleaning out the
old build directory, unpacking the tarball, applying patches,
configure;make;make install, some other sequences of events, and then
cpio'ing and compressing to build several rpm's. So, about two thirds
of the time is actually spent compiling, which is still a little slow
compared to your result.

If my machine compiled PostgreSQL as fast as yours, I'd be one happy
camper!

Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio