Operator definitions

From: Adriaan Joubert <a(dot)joubert(at)albourne(dot)com>
To: Postgresql <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Operator definitions
Date: 1999-09-22 13:38:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I've got a big problem: I had an operator defined as follows:

CREATE OPERATOR ^ (
leftarg = bit1,
rightarg = bit1,
procedure = bit1xor
);

and this was fine until 6.5.1, but in 6.5.2 I get

ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "^"

I've got the same problem with

CREATE OPERATOR | (
leftarg = bit1,
rightarg = bit1,
procedure = bit1or,
commutator = |
);

but at least that didn't work under 6.5.1 either. Can anybody give me a
hint how to fix this? I know nothing about the parser, or lex or yacc so
I don't even know where to start. I need to fix this rather urgently ,
as I have tons of plpgsql functions that make use of the ^ operator. At
the moment I get a power for all of these which leads to pretty
disastrous consequences :-(.

If anybody can give me any hint at all, I'll have a go at fixing it.
Much appreciated!

Adriaan