Re: [HACKERS] Re: HISTORY for 6.5.2

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: HISTORY for 6.5.2
Date: 1999-09-21 16:18:40
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > big. So after putting the poor newbie thru all of this trauma you want to
> > further traumatize him/her with man pages? :)
> >

> I agree our INSTALL is very large. Is there some way we can simplify
> the install process?

rpm --install postgresql*.rpm (or dpkg postgresql*.deb)

;-P

(I just HAD to do that.....) And, RPM will successfully install on more
than just RedHat Linux. See www.rpm.org

Frankly, the installation (unless you are munging it into an
FHS-compliant package) is a piece of cake as it is (of course, I say
that with two years of PostgreSQL experience under my belt). It
certainly is one of the easiest to install amongst packages of equal
size.

Most people who come to know PostgreSQL either:
1.) Get it on their Linux CD;
2.) Heard about it from their sysadmin friends;
3.) Heard about it from someone who installed from a Linux CD;
4.) Heard about it from the documentation of whatever application/web
server they're using.

In my case, it was number 4, as RedHat hadn't yet shipped it when I read
about it in the AOLserver documentation.

The only true "newbies" are in groups 1 and 3, as the others have some
experience with system administration. And for those groups, it is
going in as an RPM or other package (such as Oliver's .deb).

Are there any OS's other than Linux where PostgreSQL is being shipped as
a stock part of the OS?? Given its BSD license, I would think the
*BSD's would be shipping it.

All we can really do is provide better and better documentation, which
has been getting MUCH better than the halcyon days of 6.1.1 (which was
my first version to install).

Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio
1 Peter 4:11