PG_UPGRADE status?

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PG_UPGRADE status?
Date: 1999-09-08 14:41:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I know Tom Lane has done some work on pg_upgrade -- the last message was
on 8/2/99, and left the thread hanging.

What is the current status of pg_upgrade in 6.5.x??

I ask because the presence of a working pg_upgrade drastically reduces
the work necessary to get postgresql upgrading working prpoerly in an
RPM environment. I particular, the upgrade from RedHat 6.0 to RedHat
6.1 is going to be from postgresql 6.4.2 to 6.5.1. I do not forsee
anyone successfully upgrading a RedHat 5.x installation to 6.1, as other
things will break -- although I could be entirely wrong.

If pg_upgrade is hopelessly broken in 6.5.x, that's ok -- just means a
little more work.

Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio