Re: [HACKERS] main tree is (slightly) damaged

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] main tree is (slightly) damaged
Date: 1999-09-08 16:16:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu> writes:
> postgres=> select * from pg_tables;
> ERROR: nodeRead: Bad type 0

Ah-hah. I was able to duplicate this problem on a local Linux box.
It seems that some implementations of vsnprintf() return -1 when the
data doesn't fit in the available space, rather than the size of the
available space as the man page specifies. This broke my recent
revision of stringinfo.c. Grumble. Will commit a fix shortly.