Re: [HACKERS] ERROR: Unable to locate type oid 718 in catalog

From: "G(dot) Anthony Reina" <reina(at)nsi(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] ERROR: Unable to locate type oid 718 in catalog
Date: 1999-08-31 19:10:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> A quick glimpse says that the only occurrences of that error text are
> in parse_type.c, which is not code that I'd think would get called from
> vacuum. Odd.
>
> If you do "select * from pg_type where oid = 718;" you should get
>
> typname|typowner|typlen|typprtlen|typbyval|typtype|typisdefined|typdelim|typrelid|typelem|typinput |typoutput |typreceive|typsend |typalign|typdefault
> circle | 256| 24| 47|f |b |t |, | 0| 0|circle_in|circle_out|circle_in |circle_out|d |
> (1 row)
>
> If you don't then indeed pg_type is corrupted.
>
> regards, tom lane

Okay, I found out why I am getting this error. My partner is building a table which he is calling 'circle'. Of course, circle is a pg_type in the
PostgreSQL. So he DROP TYPE'd circle from the database (we don't need that type anyway). For some reason, the database seems to not mind this until I do
the vacuum analyze.

Any suggestions on a workaround? We'd really prefer to use 'circle' as a tablename and don't need it as a pg_type.
-Tony