The encoding problem of a server log.

From: "Hiroshi Saito" <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: The encoding problem of a server log.
Date: 2009-01-18 06:35:55
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi All.

Although pgAdmin has the check display of a server log, it has a problem.
This problem exists on extension of the problem which a Postgres server
has. Then, It is very difficult to solve this problem immediately.:(

The character code of the message text as a log to a translation result
is unsettled. Therefore, this problem as which a log is not displayed by
pgAdmin will correspond after it.

ex.)
(Include Shuft_JIS)
http://winpg.jp/~saito/pgAdmin/postgresql-2009-01-18_001837.log
(log is not displayed.)
http://winpg.jp/~saito/pgAdmin/20090118_ServerLog1.png
at the fource patch.
==
str = line + wxTextBuffer::Translate(wxString(raw, set->GetConversion()), wxTextFileType_Unix);
str = line + wxString(wxString(raw,wxConvLibc),wxConvUTF8);
==
http://winpg.jp/~saito/pgAdmin/20090118_ServerLog2.png

But,but but... log is not displayed....
(log is Include Shift_JIS and UTF-8)
http://winpg.jp/~saito/pgAdmin/postgresql-2009-01-18_020238.log

I consider the proposal of log_encoding(GUC) for the purpose of ver 8.5 or over.
However, adjustment is now difficult.... much time is needed for it.

Therefore, I wish to recognize this problem as TODO.
or, are there some ideas?

Regards,
Hiroshi Saito