Re: [INTERFACES] pgAdmin v6.5.1 Release

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "'pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] pgAdmin v6.5.1 Release
Date: 1999-08-26 16:29:47
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Dave Page wrote:
> > 3.) You must have the latest PostODBC installed;
>
> You shouldn't necessarily need the latest, although it is advisable. We
> currently use and test with 6.40.0007.

I shouldn't have said latest; recent is a better word, as you need at
least a 6.4 series PostODBC to connect to a 6.5.1 backend.... But, of
course, your software works fin coupled to 6.4.2, 6.5.0, AND 6.5.1.

> temporary names and then renamed on reboot to the correct name (remember the
> 'Please wait while Windows updates your systemsettings' message?). The
> installer can then run correctly...

Yeah, I remember the message. I was just noting it so that potential
users won't get annoyed by the reboot deal. Yet another example of
Microsoft's DLL problems. And it's not your fault. It is, however,
similar in concept to RedHat's glibc problems -- and it is a kindred
spirit with the "dump/initdb/reload" experience that is so endearing in
PostgreSQL (BIG grin). Every substantial package has to give up on
backwards compatability at some juncture -- although I believe that any
serious PostgreSQL user should be reading the HACKERS list -- if nothing
else so they can get Tom Lane's initdb warnings.

> > 5.) You must set the PostODBC options properly -- go into
> > Datasource button, uncheck Read-Only, Check both boxes under OID.
> > Otherwise, you will get lots of errors.
>
> This is the most common problem I (used to) get mailed about. pgAdmin now
> does check your settings when the datasource is opened and will complain
> about most problems.

The only errors I got were due to the Read-Only box being checked --
which caused a barf. Although, that was only the first time through -- I
can't get it to repeat the barf. But, it was a quite cryptic error
message.

> > All of the above installs add up to around 15MB of download, so give
> > yourself plenty of time.
>
> Of course if you already have MDAC2 and DCOM then the download is a shade
> over 4MB. I would suggest getting pgAdmin first and then downloading the
> other bits if you need them.

Just as a suggestion -- Microsoft does not link from the MDAC download
page to the DCOM page -- could you maybe place a link to that on your
page? That would help a little, I think.

> Thanks for your comments Lamar (and I really don't know him!),

You're welcome (and I wouldn't know Dave from Adam if I saw him...
;-))...
After having played with pgAdmin for awhile now, I am really impressed.
The tree-style view of the table and column definitions are nice (of
course, it makes me really feel the absence of ALTER TABLE ALTER
COLUMN....)

It even gives me a good error message when I attempt to view the
contents of pg_log and pg_variable.... Although, I am at a loss to
understand WHY I can't view either of these two system tables.... I
know, "Use the Source, Luke..."

The button help (the pop-up) for Add Column is wrong -- it tells me that
this button is to "rename the selected column." This is the only error
I have yet seen. Good Job!

Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet radio