Re: [HACKERS] Threads

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Brian E Gallew <geek+(at)cmu(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Threads
Date: 1999-08-04 15:42:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> KDE/KOffice uses Mico, which is also C++...

Right, it's a nice implementation from the little I've used it (I have
it installed to use the tcl binding).

Presumably we would want a C implementation to match the rest of our
environment, but I can't help thinking that a C++ one for the Corba
parts would be more natural (it maps to the Corba OO view of the
world).

ACE/TAO includes OS abstractions to allow porting to a *bunch* of
platforms, including real-time OSes. However, if you build the whole
package and include debugging symbols then you're taking up 1.2GB of
disk space for a from-source build (yes, that's GigaByte with a gee
:()

The libraries are substantially smaller, but the packaging is not very
good yet so you end up keeping the full installation around.

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California