Re: [HACKERS] initdb needed for newest sources

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] initdb needed for newest sources
Date: 1999-08-01 21:25:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The changes revise the contents of the pg_statistic system table
> in order to support more accurate selectivity estimation, as per
> discussions a few days ago.

Hey Tom, I'm not sure I was all that enthused about trying to optimize
the selectivity for *any* particular strategy. How about also allowing
the value(s) used for selectivity estimates to be manually set in the
table so folks can tune things to their satisfaction? Maybe they can
already be set, in which case we could add a SET OPTIMIZATION command
(the name is negotiable) to make it easier?

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California