Re: [PORTS] Postgres 6.5.1 on IRIX 6.5.4 with -o32 bit libraries

From: "G(dot) Anthony Reina" <reina(at)nsi(dot)edu>
To: Mark Dalphin <mdalphin(at)amgen(dot)com>, "pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PORTS] Postgres 6.5.1 on IRIX 6.5.4 with -o32 bit libraries
Date: 1999-07-30 16:52:54
Lists: pgsql-ports

Mark Dalphin wrote:

> I have not compiled for multiple modes, only -n32, but I have run into exactly the same problem. Version 6.4.2 seemed to know where to look for the shared object, but something has changed for 6.5.1. I am not sure what, though I have
> been looking. There is also more information about this under "man rld", but my reading of it suggests that your cc line, above, should work. My current work around is to specify LD_LIBRARY_PATH when I start the postmaster. That
> won't help when compiling other programs, however, I think

Mark,

Yeah, from my understanding cc should know where to look for the libraries since I specify the correct place with the -L option. It seems like cc isn't even recognizing that this option has been set.

The only difference I can see between Postgres 6.4.2 and 6.5.1 in this matter is that the library has changed from libpq.a to libpq.so.2. For some reason I think that move from .a to .so has made the difference. Copying the
lipq.so.2 over to the /usr/lib32 directory will fix the bug (or at least I haven't found any problems with it so far). But, I'd rather like to figure out specifically why this is occuring rather than kludging a work around.

Maybe between the two of us working on the problem we'll have a better chance of coming across the reason.

-Tony