Re: [INTERFACES] Connection from win95 to postgresql using JDBC andjdk1.2

From: Doug Thistlethwaite <doug(dot)t(at)deltanet(dot)com>
To: Peter Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: Doug Thistlethwaite <doug(at)dupreeinc(dot)com>, Doug Thistlethwaite <doug(at)dupree3(dot)dupreeinc(dot)com>, pgsql-interface <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Connection from win95 to postgresql using JDBC andjdk1.2
Date: 1999-07-24 15:40:40
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Peter,

Ok, I looked and there was a table pg_user. I notice it is in the template and
my database. I modified it using the command (in psql)
ALTER USER doug with PASSWORD FRED;
This seems to have worked and the command returned ALTER USER.

Ok I removed the file name in the pg_hba.conf file and restarted postgres.

I get the same message when I try to connect from Java on the PC! :(

As a test, I tried this command from the linux shell

psql -u -h localhost doug

Username: doug
password: fred

Everything seems to work fine.

I also tried the same command with a bogus password and it also worked! so the
above statement must not be checking passwords or something.

I am totally lost on what to do.

Doug