Connection from win95 to postgresql using JDBC and jdk1.2

From: Doug Thistlethwaite <doug(at)dupreeinc(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interface <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Cc: doug(dot)t(at)deltanet(dot)com
Subject: Connection from win95 to postgresql using JDBC and jdk1.2
Date: 1999-07-23 16:41:24
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hello,

I know this subject is probably getting old on this list, but I have
still not been able to get my windows 95 system to connect to a linux
2.2.10 kernel system (debian potato) using jdk1.2 on a windows 95
system. I am trying to get the examples working that came with the JDBC
drivers. I have downloaded the latest JDBC2 driver from Peter Mount's
web site and I have gotten to the point where I get the following
message:

C:\jdk1.2\DSNBrowse>java example.basic jdbc:postgresql://dragon/doug
doug db
PostgreSQL basic test v6.3 rev 1

Starting constructor for basic
continueing constructor for basic
Connecting to Database URL = jdbc:postgresql://dragon/doug
Exception caught.
Something unusual has occured to cause the driver to fail. Please report
this
exception: java.sql.SQLException: Password authentication failed for
user 'doug'
Something unusual has occured to cause the driver to fail. Please report
this
exception: java.sql.SQLException: Password authentication failed for
user 'doug'
at postgresql.Driver.connect(Driver.java:112)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Compiled Code)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:137)
at example.basic.<init>(basic.java:34)
at example.basic.main(basic.java:168)

The linux system is connect to the windows 95 system via a small
network.

I have modified the pg_hba.conf file to allow for connections from my PC
using the line

host doug 207.155.49.102 255.255.255.255 password
/var/postgres/passwd

I tested the connection by using this command on the linux system:

psql -u -h localhost doug

and logged in with the same user name and password I am trying to use on
the PC. The above psql connection works fine.

Can someone point me in the correct direction on what to look for? I
think I am pretty close, but I have not been able to get any further in
the last week.

Thank you for your time.

Doug Thistlethwaite