jdbc interface problems with jdk1.2

From: Doug Thistlethwaite <doug(dot)t(at)deltanet(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: jdbc interface problems with jdk1.2
Date: 1999-07-20 06:18:26
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hello,

I have been trying to get a win95 system to connect to a postgresql
database on a linux system.

The linux system is a debian "potato" system with a 2.2.10 kernel. The
version of postgresql is 6.5

I have installed posgresql, created a database "doug", created a user
"doug" and given the user a password.

The password file was created using the command pg_passwd
/var/postgresql/passwd

In the postmaster.init file I added
PGALLOWTCPIP=yes

and in the file pb_hba.conf I added the following line to the end of the
file

host doug IP.ADDRESS.OF PC 255.255.255.0 password
/var/postgres/passwd

When I try to run the example.basic example from the PC, I get the
following error message:

jC:\jdk1.2\DSNBrowse>java example.basic
jdbc:postgresql://dragon:5432/doug d
oug db
PostgreSQL basic test v6.3 rev 1

Starting constructor for basic
continueing constructor for basic
Connecting to Database URL = jdbc:postgresql://dragon:5432/doug
Exception caught.
Something unusual has occured to cause the driver to fail. Please report
this exception: java.sql.SQLException: Password authentication failed
for user 'doug'
Something unusual has occured to cause the driver to fail. Please report
this exception: java.sql.SQLException: Password authentication failed
for user 'doug'
at postgresql.Driver.connect(Driver.java:112)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Compiled Code)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:137)
at example.basic.<init>(basic.java:34)
at example.basic.main(basic.java:168)

Does anybody have an idea of what I can try to get this working?

Thanks,

Doug