Re: initdb - creating clusters

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, gazzatav(at)gmail(dot)com, Pg Docs <pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: initdb - creating clusters
Date: 2020-08-30 15:21:36
Lists: pgsql-docs

Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> + The discussions in this chapter assume that you are working with
> + an unmodified version of <productname>PostgreSQL</productname>,
> + for example one that you built from source according to the directions
> + in the preceding chapters. If you are working with a pre-packaged

> Rather than "unmodified", would it be better to say something more
> like "without any extra supporting infrastructure"?

So maybe "... you are working with plain
<productname>PostgreSQL</productname> without any additional
infrastructure, for example a copy that you built from source
according to the directions in the preceding chapters." ?

Do you have a feeling one way or the other about whether to repeat
some of this text in each of the relevant sub-sections? I initially
didn't want to do that, but thinking about how people consume the
HTML docs, I'm afraid that anything not appearing on the same page
won't get seen.