Re: Probably been asked a hundred times before.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jorge Godoy <jgodoy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, david(at)eclipsecat(dot)com
Subject: Re: Probably been asked a hundred times before.
Date: 2008-06-24 18:12:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Jorge Godoy <jgodoy(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Tuesday 24 June 2008 11:30:14 David Siebert wrote:
>> I was wondering if anybody has made an Postgres centric distro?

> I'm running OpenSuSE 11.0 and I have PostgreSQL 8.3.1 right from the
> installation DVD.

Fedora 9 likewise shipped with PG 8.3.1. It's all a matter of what was
current when a particular major distro release was frozen.

Some distros are more aggressive than others about updating to new minor
PG releases, but there is no one who will auto-update you to a new major
PG release. Lack of upgrade-in-place is part of the reason; but even
if we had that, few distros would consider it because of the application
compatibility issues that new major releases typically create.