Re: Assorted improvements in pg_dump

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Hans Buschmann <buschmann(at)nidsa(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Assorted improvements in pg_dump
Date: 2021-10-24 22:58:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com> writes:
> On Sun, Oct 24, 2021 at 05:10:55PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> + if (tbloids->len > 1)

> I think this should say
> + if (tbloids->len > 0)

No, >1 is the correct test, because it's checking the string length
and we started by stuffing a '{' into the string. Maybe needs a
comment.

> BTW, the ACL patch makes the overhead 6x lower (6.9sec vs 1.2sec) for pg_dump -t
> of a single, small table. Thanks for that.

Yeah --- I haven't done any formal measurements of the case where you're
selecting a small number of tables, but I did note that it decreased a
good deal compared to HEAD.