Re: RFC: replace pg_stat_activity.waiting with something more descriptive

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ildus Kurbangaliev <i(dot)kurbangaliev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: Re: RFC: replace pg_stat_activity.waiting with something more descriptive
Date: 2015-07-16 14:54:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ildus Kurbangaliev <i(dot)kurbangaliev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> writes:
> I made benchmark of gettimeofday(). I believe it is certainly usable for monitoring.
> Testing configuration:
> 24 cores, Intel Xeon CPU X5675(at)3(dot)07Ghz
> RAM 24 GB

> 54179703 - microseconds total
> 2147483647 - (INT_MAX), the number of gettimeofday() calls

> 0.025229390256679331

> Here we have the average duration of one gettimeofday in microseconds.

25 nsec per gettimeofday() is in the same ballpark as what I measured
on a new-ish machine last year:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/31856(dot)1400021891(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us

The problem is that (a) on modern hardware that is not a small number,
it's the equivalent of 100 or more instructions; and (b) the results
look very much worse on less-modern hardware, particularly machines
where gettimeofday requires a kernel call.