Re: Perl library (was Building Postgres)

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Cristian Gafton <gafton(at)redhat(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, Edmund Mergl <E(dot)Mergl(at)bawue(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Perl library (was Building Postgres)
Date: 1999-06-30 13:16:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Cristian! Glad you surfaced ;)

> > machine? Can I instead just plop some files into the proper place on
> > the target machine in a version-independent way?
> On a Red Hat system you can use /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl, for example.
> That is not dependent on perl version.

I see that now. For some reason the postgres v6.4.2 spec file didn't
quite handle the new perl tree, but between these hints and looking at
the mod_perl package (the perl extensions for apache) I think I see
how to do things.

Thanks for the help! I'm pretty sure I'm close to having some more
capable rpms for v6.5 than we've had in the past, but it wasn't at all
trivial! It's uncovered several small problems in our make system
which prevented this from happening earlier.

I'll be posting these on the Postgres web site for folks to test;
would you like me to send you a copy directly to look at? Somehow we
should coordinate this so my postgresql-6.5-1 doesn't conflict with
one coming from a RedHat distribution...

Regards.

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California