Re: [HACKERS] Re: setsockopt(SO_REUSEADDR) (Re: Call for porting reports)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "Kardos, Dr(dot) Andreas" <kardos(at)repas-aeg(dot)de>, hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: setsockopt(SO_REUSEADDR) (Re: Call for porting reports)
Date: 2000-04-14 15:30:46
Lists: pgsql-ports

Peter Eisentraut <e99re41(at)DoCS(dot)UU(dot)SE> writes:
> On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Tom Lane wrote:
>> That doesn't strike me as sufficient; it is quite likely that that
>> will find a perl 4. Does your help-building script run on perl 4?

> No idea. Does anyone have Perl 4 and can try it (and fix it)? Surely Perl
> 4 supports regular expressions and flow control.

perl 4.0.36 generates half a dozen minor-looking syntax errors. Looks
like perl 5 is more forgiving about where you put parentheses. Also
perl4 doesn't have "my()", only "local()". Should be easy to fix;
I'll try this weekend.

Given that, I agree that configure should be fixed to look for a perl,
and then the psql Makefile should enable the build rule only if one
was found. You want to handle that part?