Re: [HACKERS] 6.5.1 status

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Vadim Mikheev <vadim(at)krs(dot)ru>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] 6.5.1 status
Date: 1999-06-29 05:13:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > > First time for last two years -:)).
> > We must be starting to know what we are doing, eh? :)
> Interesting outlook. :-)

Hmm. It is also the longest beta, longest period between releases, and
longest slip in release date. Not that those are bad; we apparently
got a solid release out of it.

I still can't believe that Vadim pulled off his huge changes! btw, I
upgraded a small production server at work which does plain-vanilla
SQL stuff and found that the following was *really* all it took to
upgrade from v6.4.2:

pg_dumpall -z > file.pg_dumpall
shutdown server
change soft link to new tree
build and install s/w
initdb
start new server
copy pg_hba.conf
psql < file.pg_dumpall

About 10 minutes total elapsed time. Pretty impressive imho.

I will have some patches for v6.5.1 (and v6.6, but they may be
superceded during the cycle by Tom Lane's suggestions) to allow the
Postgres packaged apps to be built as shared libraries. The patches
are almost trivial, though the build sequence to actually get
dynamically-linked apps is not.

Also, there is a new version of pgaccess which we could incorporate,
and the ODBC driver could be refreshed. I could also fix a few typos
in the docs...

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California