Perl library (was Building Postgres)

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, Edmund Mergl <E(dot)Mergl(at)bawue(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Cristian Gafton <gafton(at)redhat(dot)com>
Subject: Perl library (was Building Postgres)
Date: 1999-06-28 15:02:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> For v6.5, I think I'm going to do the phased build (the "repeating"
> option).

OK, I think I've got a good start at a Postgres-6.5 rpm set. It will
have the apps using shared libraries, rather than static links. It
includes more interfaces than past rpms, including ODBC, and I've
separated out the language-specific features into separate rpms (e.g.
the tcl interfaces are in postgres-tcl-6.5-1.rpm).

I'm now trying to package the perl (and next, python) interfaces. Can
someone with perl installation experience give me some hints on what
actually needs to be installed and how it has to happen?

The Postgres source tree uses a perl-based make system which ends up
with very installation-specific and perl-version-specific target
paths, but I don't know if these paths are actually used in the final
product. Will I need to put Makefile.PL, etc., in the binary rpm
itself, and build the perl interface on the fly for every target
machine? Can I instead just plop some files into the proper place on
the target machine in a version-independent way?

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California