Re: [HACKERS] solution for psql segmentation fault ??

From: sean dreilinger <sean(at)savvysearch(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] solution for psql segmentation fault ??
Date: 1999-06-27 06:03:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> sean dreilinger <sean(at)savvysearch(dot)com> writes:
> > i've scoured the mail list logs and found many requests for assistance
> > with this problem:
> > ``i just built the new pgsql release and now psql quits with a
> > segmentation fault every time i run it''

> You have? This is the first I've heard of it ...

its in the archive, mentioned around the time of each new release, maybe
since 6.2?

> > i'm guessing its something to do with versions of readline/glibc but don't
> If you suspect readline, there's a switch you can give to prevent psql
> from using readline --- does psql -n behave any differently?

readline circa redhat linux 5.1 was installed here, i built
readline-2.2.1-5.src.rpm from updates.redhat.com and psql from the
postgres 6.5 cvs repository worked immediately without recompiling.

this evening i rebuilt the entire postgres distribution, everything runs
great!

> Can you provide a gdb backtrace from the corefile?

if this would be helpful in developing postgres i'm willing to put back
the old readline and crash psql a few more times :-).

thanks very much to the folks who took time to rsvp with $.02!

--sean

--
mailto:sean(at)savvysearch(dot)com sean dreilinger, mlis
http://www.savvysearch.com http://durak.org/sean