question about pg_dump

From: "Scot Kreienkamp" <SKreien(at)la-z-boy(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: question about pg_dump
Date: 2009-10-22 14:42:14
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi everyone,

I have a question about pg_dump backups. Will changes made in the
database made during a pg_dump operation be reflected in the dumped
datafile? Or is the data the exact dataset that was in the database as
of the start of the backup?

From what I understand of the documentation, any changes made during the
backup would NOT be in the dumped datafile. That is very important for
a monthend process where I need consistent data as of exactly the time
the dump starts, which is why I'm confirming that is indeed the case.

Thanks,

Scot Kreienkamp

skreien(at)la-z-boy(dot)com