Re: postgresql on win2k

From: "Gerrit P(dot) Haase" <gp(at)familiehaase(dot)de>
To: "dave" <dmehler(at)davemehler(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql on win2k
Date: 2001-12-09 15:18:56
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Hallo dave,

Am 2001-12-06 um 21:23 schriebst du:

> Hello,
> Thanks for the reply. A slight oversight on my part, i recreated the
> postgres user, but neglected to give it the log on as a service right. I did
> that, and tried to start postmaster again. Now i'm getting:
> the postmaster service could not be started.
> the service did not report an error
> more help is available by typing net helpmsg 3534
> i type net helpmsg 3534, and the information it displays is not helpful.
> Any suggestions appreciated.

I have similar problems. I created all as stated in the README and was able
to run postmaster as service then.
Now after several reboots I'm getting the same error as you described above.
I'm having this behaviour on two different machines, both work well at the
beginning but now...

I looked in the archives but all I found didn't help.
One suggestion was: "I believe it is an old pid file..."
Note the spelling: 'believe', no word where the pid file is.
I found one which looks like an old pidd file, deleted it, no way
still no postmaster service running.

So it seems there are problems and there are no answers.
Is there a FAQ somewhere?

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Why?

Ciao,

Gerrit P. Haase mailto:gp(at)familiehaase(dot)de
--
=^..^=