unixODBC - ODBC - more fixs

From: Peter Harvey <pharvey(at)codebydesign(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: unixODBC - ODBC - more fixs
Date: 1999-06-06 17:07:31
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Thomas,

I am getting many users routing their PostgreSQL ODBC driver fixs
through me. I will submit these, and any I do, to you via patchs....
should I resubmit my previous changes?

I am wondering if it is ok to submit these with a diff on Byrons latest
(as per the web download at his site)? This is, in fact, the source from
which I based the unixODBC PostgreSQL driver.

I am wondering if anyone is considering updating the doco to show
unixODBC as being a very viable ODBC solution for those on UNIX/Linux.

Note: The unixODBC cvs now contains a DM which does thorough 3.x to 2.x
mapping (please let us know if there are problems with this). This
allows the PostgreSQL driver to start evolving to 3.x without breaking
apps. on UNIX. Also; the unixODBC DM will be thread safe in the near
future so I think people should start thinking about making their
ODBC drivers thread safe as well. This will be important within the next
12 months because projects such as KDE are heading quickly down the road
to ORB's and >2 tier data access. This will be quite similar to placing
data access DCOM stuff on a middle tier using Microsoft Transaction
Server.... but the Drivers must be thread safe.

Thanks all!

Peter Harvey
( http://www.genix.net/unixODBC )

BTW: unixODBC is currently focused upon Linux. The minor changes
required for it to work on other UNIX's will be carried out after
Release 1.0 (perhaps in about a month).