Re: Typo in doc or wrong EXCLUDE implementation

From: KES <kes-kes(at)yandex(dot)ru>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Typo in doc or wrong EXCLUDE implementation
Date: 2018-08-09 10:11:05
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Bruce:
>Yes, it would work, but doing that only for equality would be surprising
to many people

Why surprising? It is [documented](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-createtable.html#sql-createtable-exclude):
>If all of the specified operators test for equality, this is equivalent to a UNIQUE constraint, although an ordinary unique constraint will be faster.

Thus the UNIQUE constraint is just particular case of exclusion constraint, is not?

Tom
>It's less efficient (1) and less portable
Yes, portability has matter, but more general SQL would be more efficient at developer hours to support such application in compare to writing many particular SQL's (one SQL expression is better than two which do same job). Personally I would close the eyes on portability in favor of using modern features (looking forward for inclusion constraint)

For speed efficiency (1) this particular case of exclusion constraint can be implemented via btree-based uniqueness. (like uniqueness is implemented via indexes under the hood. but the implementaion details have no matter as for me)