Re: [HACKERS] Outer joins

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: kar(at)webline(dot)dk
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Outer joins
Date: 1999-05-24 14:06:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Going through the documentation I can only find little about outer
> joins. One statement is in the Changes doc about including syntax for
> outer joins, but there doesn't seem to be implemented any code after
> that.
> Is it true that there's no outer joins yet? Any plans? Btw. what is the
> syntax for outer joins. I know only Oracle's (+) operator.

There is a small amount of code inside of #ifdef ENABLE_OUTER_JOINS
but it is not even close to what needs to be present for anything to
run. Bruce and I were talking about an implementation, but it is
definitely not coming for v6.5.

- Thomas

Oh, the syntax has lots of variants, but the basic one is:

select * from t1 left|right|full outer join t2 on t1.x = t2.x;

or

select * from t1 left|right|full outer join t2 using (x);

South Pasadena, California