Re: Add pg_basetype() function to obtain a DOMAIN base type

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com>, John Naylor <johncnaylorls(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Steve Chavez <steve(at)supabase(dot)io>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add pg_basetype() function to obtain a DOMAIN base type
Date: 2024-02-18 00:47:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> On 2/17/24 20:20, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I don't have an immediate proposal for exactly what to call such a
>> function, but naming it by analogy to pg_typeof would be questionable.

> Are you objecting to the pg_basetypeof() name, or just to it accepting
> "any" argument? I think pg_basetypeof(regtype) would work ...

I'm not sure. "pg_basetypeof" seems like it invites confusion with
"pg_typeof", but I don't really have a better idea. Perhaps
"pg_baseofdomain(regtype)"? I'm not especially thrilled with that,
either.

Also, just to be clear, we intend this to drill down to the bottom
non-domain type, right? Do we need a second function that goes
down only one level? I'm inclined to say "no", mainly because
(1) that would complicate the naming situation even more, and
(2) that use-case is pretty easy to handle with a sub-select.