Re: BuildTupleFromCStrings Memory Documentation?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jason Petersen <jason(at)citusdata(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BuildTupleFromCStrings Memory Documentation?
Date: 2015-05-01 04:19:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jason Petersen <jason(at)citusdata(dot)com> writes:
> Within the core codebase, BuildTupleFromCStrings is often called within a temporary memory context cleared after the call. In dblink.c, this is justified as being needed to [clean up] not only the data we have direct access to, but any cruft the I/O functions might leak.
> I wrote a pretty minimal case to call BuildTupleFromCStrings in a loop (attached) and found that I was using 40GB of RAM in a few minutes, though I was not allocating any memory myself and immediately freed the tuple it returned.

> Is the need to wrap this call in a protective context documented anywhere? Portions of the documentation use BuildTupleFromCStrings in examples without mentioning this precaution. Is it just well-known, or did I miss a README or comment somewhere?

Most uses of BuildTupleFromCStrings only do it once per invocation of the
calling function, so that an outer-level reset of the calling function's
evaluation context is what takes care of any memory leaked by the I/O
functions BuildTupleFromCStrings invokes. If you intend to call it many
times within the same function call then you should use a context you can
reset between calls. This risk is hardly unique to BuildTupleFromCStrings,
which is why the documentation doesn't make a big point of it.