Re: Document parameter count limit

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Document parameter count limit
Date: 2022-11-23 18:47:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Does this come up enough to document it? I assume the error message the
> user receives is clear.

Looks like you get

if (nParams < 0 || nParams > PQ_QUERY_PARAM_MAX_LIMIT)
{
libpq_append_conn_error(conn, "number of parameters must be between 0 and %d",
PQ_QUERY_PARAM_MAX_LIMIT);
return 0;
}

which seems clear enough.

I think the concern here is that somebody who's not aware that a limit
exists might write an application that thinks it can send lots of
parameters, and then have it fall over in production. Now, I've got
doubts that an entry in the limits.sgml table will do much to prevent
that scenario. But perhaps offering the advice to use an array parameter
will be worthwhile even after-the-fact.