Re: fixing CREATEROLE

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: fixing CREATEROLE
Date: 2022-11-23 18:11:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Wed, Nov 23, 2022 at 12:36 PM Mark Dilger
> <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>> Yes, this all makes sense, but does it entail that the CREATE ROLE command must behave differently on the basis of a setting?

> Well, we certainly don't HAVE to add those new role-level properties;
> that's why they are in a separate patch. But I think they add a lot of
> useful functionality for a pretty minimal amount of extra code
> complexity.

I haven't thought about these issues hard enough to form an overall
opinion (though I agree that making CREATEROLE less tantamount
to superuser would be an improvement). However, I share Mark's
discomfort about making these commands act differently depending on
context. We learned long ago that allowing GUCs to affect query
semantics was a bad idea. Basing query semantics on properties
of the issuing role (beyond success-or-permissions-failure) doesn't
seem a whole lot different from that. It still means that
applications can't just issue command X and expect Y to happen;
they have to inquire about context in order to find out that Z might
happen instead. That's bad in any case, but it seems especially bad
for security-critical behaviors.