Re: starting up LAPUG

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: noelp(at)calpacs(dot)org
Cc: Los Angeles PostgreSQL Users Group <lapug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: starting up LAPUG
Date: 2007-12-19 01:27:04
Lists: lapug

--- On Tue, 12/18/07, noelp(at)calpacs(dot)org <noelp(at)calpacs(dot)org> wrote:

> Maybe if we choose to have PUG meetings on weekday evening,
> it sounds like a location near us would work well. :-)

This is true. However, I would not be opposed to have meetings on weekend evenings either. But whatever time is most convenient for everyone would probably be best. For me Sunday evenings would would be my first choice. Monday and Thursday evenings are tied up for me. But other than that, I am pretty much open to anything.

> I could arrange for the use of Garden Grove meeting
> facilities, but that's
> getting far from Los Angeles. For the first couple of
> meetings, if you can
> arrange the for the use of your facilities in Long Beach,

Okay, that sounds good. I will see what I can do!

Should we still shoot for starting the meetings after SCALE 08 or should we plan an event sooner?

> I'll buy pizza.
> Good pizza. If we can put something together, several of my
> coworkers
> would like to attend as well.

I'll see whom I can find to attend also.

> If desperate for a presentation, I wouldn't mind
> putting something
> together about time oriented databases. Another potential
> topic could be
> talking about the City of Garden Grove's experiences
> using PostgreSQL.

Both of those topics sound very interesting. I have a little bit of experience with "current" temporal database also. I am working up a "sequenced" schema to replace my existing current schema for my next project. I've also seen that the Portland user group has a presentation of an up and coming temporal contrib module to postgres that adds additional temporal operators. However, I noticed that they track history using entity/attributes/values instead of complete tuple history.

But I would really be interested to hear about your use of PostgreSQL at the city of Garden Grove. I believe I've seen your testimonial on the PostgreSQL main page.

I am sure that I can come up with a few topics to present myself.

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.