Re: [GENERAL] 9k limit?

From: Chris Bitmead <chris(dot)bitmead(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] 9k limit?
Date: 1999-04-23 00:16:18
Lists: pgsql-general

Justin Long wrote:

> It appears that there is a 9k (8,991) limit on queries ... I have text files
> that need to go in TEXT fields that are much longer than this. Does anyone
> have any suggestions as to how to add them to the database? Has anyone else
> encountered this problem?

Database records may not exceed 8k so increasing the query limit isn't
going to help you much (although I still think it should be increased).

There arn't many good options. You could use large objects (except that
their implementation sucks). Or you could break up the object. Something
like..
CREATE TABLE textfile (t text);
CREATE TABLE extrabits (ord int4, textfile oid);

If it fits into 8k you just use the text file class. If it spills over
you start having to populate the extrabits with an order by field ord.

Then you would SELECT textfile from extrabits order by ord where
textfile = 'the-oid-of-text-file-you-are-looking-for'; and join them all
back together

Really ugly I know. I hope these arbitrary limits are removed sometime
soon.