Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC Memory leak

From: Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com>
To: Denis Sbragion <sbragion(at)milan(dot)crosswinds(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC Memory leak
Date: 1999-04-15 22:54:01
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Denis Sbragion wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It looks like the postgres ODBC (6.40.0005) leaks a lot of memory. Under a
> heavy usage test the memory occupation increase up to 2 Mb every 30
> seconds, until everything crashes. To be sure I did exactly the same test
> using the MS SQL Server ODBC driver. This driver showed no memory leakage
> at all. Anybody can confirm this?

Whoa! Well, nothing in the core driver has been changed in the version 0005
release, certainly nothing related to memory usage/allocation. In fact,
nothing has been changed along these lines since like version 6.30.0250 or
something.

Something to keep in mind though, if the driver is *NOT* using the "Use
Declare/Fetch option", then the driver will attempt to store the entire query
results in its memory. Is it possible your usage test would have done a huge
query or something like that? The Use Declare/Fetch option only allocates a
cache of 100 rows (by default) and never goes over that so huge queries
wouldn't bother it.

If there is a memory problem like this in the driver, I would like to know
more about your test so I can track it down. If so, you might try changing
some options (such as the Declare/Fetch) and see if it changes anything.

Byron