Re: 002_types.pl fails on some timezones on windows

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: 002_types.pl fails on some timezones on windows
Date: 2021-10-02 20:42:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> Oh, thanks for the pointer to CLDR! I tried re-generating our data
> based on theirs, and ended up with the attached draft patch.

Hearing no objections, pushed after another round of review
and a couple more fixes.

For the archives' sake, here are the remaining discrepancies
between our mapping and CLDR's entries for "territory 001",
which I take to be their recommended defaults:

* Our documented decision to map "Central America" to "CST6",
on the grounds that most of Central America doesn't actually
observe DST nowadays.

* Now-documented decision to map "Greenwich Standard Time"
to Europe/London, not Atlantic/Reykjavik as they have it.

* The miscellaneous deltas shown in the attached diff, which in
many cases boil down to "we chose the first name mentioned for the
zone, while CLDR did something else". I felt that our historical
mappings of these cases weren't wrong enough to justify any
political flak I might take for changing them. OTOH, maybe we
should just say "we follow CLDR" and be done with it.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
remaining-cldr-discrepancies.patch text/x-diff 2.0 KB