Re: PSQLODBC error

From: Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com>
To: "Ken J(dot) Wright" <ken(at)ori-ind(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PSQLODBC error
Date: 1999-04-09 22:39:41
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Ken J. Wright wrote:

> Byron,
>
> Some more info. In the driver setup, if Parse Statements is checked, the
> error occurs. If not checked, then all is ok. I noticed in parse.c that
> memory for field info is allocated in 32 field blocks. Perhaps the error is
> here? At least I am now out of the deep water.

Yeah, I had a feeling about the parse statements thing. I think you found a
bug.

FYI, the "parse statements" option was added before we had the 6.4 protocol.
The newer protocol passes the size of the fields back in a query, which is
something the old 6.3 protocol did not do. So I wrote this grand parse routine
which would take a query and go ask the database about all the fields. The
"parse statements" still has an advantage over the 6.4 protocol, in that it can
find out about whether a field in a query can be "null" or not. Plus, it can
find out about column alias names. Unfortunately, I don't think the parse
statements can handle some of the newer syntaxes that will be introduced in
6.5.

To be honest, I don't think the driver should be parsing sql statements too
much anyway.

Byron

  • subscribe at 1999-04-15 22:33:47 from Nicolas Aragon