Re: Pl/Perl function: Speed of the First time executing pl/perl function in connection;

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Oleg Serov <serovov(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pl/Perl function: Speed of the First time executing pl/perl function in connection;
Date: 2008-11-16 16:46:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Is a one-off cost per connection of 100ms so bothersome?

I think the complaint is that there's no obvious reason for it to be so
high.

On my Fedora 9 machine, the overhead to start plperl seems to be about
40 msec. This compares unfavorably to the time to start perl from the
command line, which is under 4 msec. I see that /usr/bin/perl pulls in
libperl.so, so it's paying the same shlib overhead as we do. How is it
that we take ten times longer to start up?