Re: SYNONYMs revisited

From: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SYNONYMs revisited
Date: 2009-03-04 15:14:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 9:34 AM, Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Way back in this thread[1] one of the arguments against allowing
> some version of CREATE SYNONYM was that we couldn't create a synonym for
> an object in a remote database. Will the SQL/MED work make this sort of
> thing a possibility? I realize since it's not standard anyway, there's
> still a discussion or two to be had about how precisely it should work,
> but thought I'd raise the possibility.

While shaking my head In that movie-like slow-motion used as a precursor to
an almost disastrous event, I see myself saying, "nooooooooooooo..."

OK, back to reality.

SQL/MED does support foreign tables, which are basically synonyms for remote
tables. Other than that, it has no real similarity to synonym behavior for
other database objects such as views, functions, or local tables.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Senior DBA
myYearbook.com