Re: Hadoop backend?

From: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pi(dot)songs(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hadoop backend?
Date: 2009-02-23 23:03:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 3:47 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> In theory, I think you could make postgres work on any type of
> underlying storage you like by writing a second smgr implementation
> that would exist alongside md.c. The fly in the ointment is that
> you'd need a more sophisticated implementation of this line of code,
> from smgropen:
>
> reln->smgr_which = 0; /* we only have md.c at present */

I believe there is more than that which would need to be done nowadays. I
seem to recall that the storage manager abstraction has slowly been
dedicated/optimized for md over the past 6 years or so. It may even be
easier/preferred to write a hadoop specific access method depending on what
you're looking for from hadoop.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Senior DBA
myYearbook.com