Re: PGCon 2008 RFP

From: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Cc: "Dan Langille" <dan(at)langille(dot)org>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "PostgreSQL Advocacy" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PGCon 2008 RFP
Date: 2008-12-30 20:36:59
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 3:31 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-12-30 at 15:26 -0500, Jonah H. Harris wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 3:35 PM, Dan Langille <dan(at)langille(dot)org> wrote:
>
>> Also, as I haven't chimed in on the other subject of standardized
>> slide templates, I'm in favor of standardization as well. Not to be
>> rude, but some PG slides are ugly and hard to read. Having a set of
>> consistent templates makes the slide author focus on the content
>> rather than design, and it removes the all-too-common bad fonts, bad
>> colors, and bad backgrounds. Just my 2 cents.
>>

> I don't know of any conference that enforces that level of formatting on
> the speakers.

Well, how many DB2 or Oracle conferences have you attended? The
industry conferences (even those given by the user groups) are
different than open source conferences, that's for sure. Of course,
you're paying a helluva lot more to attend any of those than you are
PGCon... so maybe they just have higher expectations?

Also, I forgot to mention that they do permit you to put your company
logo on the intro slide or the "about me" slide. They just don't want
people pushing products rather than information. The point of a
conference is for you to present relevant material, not propoganda.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Senior DBA
myYearbook.com