Re: SQL/MED compatible connection manager

From: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Martin Pihlak" <martin(dot)pihlak(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Pg Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SQL/MED compatible connection manager
Date: 2008-10-27 14:35:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 10:06 AM, Martin Pihlak <martin(dot)pihlak(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> So the proposal is to implement a small subset of SQL/MED to cope with
> connection info management -- connection manager. This will only manage the
> connection metadata and provide the required system catalogs and commands for
> maintaining them. The actual connection management (open/close etc.) is still
> handled by the client modules.

Per SQL:2008, there are no expected changes to SQL/MED from SQL:2003.
As such, two weeks ago, I completed a full review of SQL/MED and am
planning to fully implement it for 8.5. Currently, I'm working on a
proof of concept and have created a SQL/MED access method (sqlmed) as
well as started implementing the FDW API and hooks into the optimizer
to support remote capabilities, costing, and predicate pushdown. The
first wrappers I intend to support are ODBC and

This is a large project, and I'm certainly open to assistance :)

--
Jonah H. Harris, Senior DBA
myYearbook.com