Re: There is acid without transactions ?

From: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Ezequias Rodrigues da Rocha" <ezequias(dot)rocha(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: There is acid without transactions ?
Date: 2007-03-11 20:30:49
Lists: pgsql-sql

On 3/11/07, Ezequias Rodrigues da Rocha <ezequias(dot)rocha(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Perfect. I just don't know what drivers you are talking about (odbc maybe).

As the server no longer supports server-side autocommit, I believe all
of the drivers create an explicit transaction behind the scenes when
the user requests autocommit to be turned off. That way, the drivers
can allow the user to control the transaction state.

The only mainstream driver I know of which doesn't act this way is
libpq, where there is no way to turn off "autocommit" unless you
explicitly create the transaction yourself with BEGIN.

However, I'm sure each of the driver authors will correct me if I'm wrong :)

--
Jonah H. Harris, Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation | fax: 732.331.1301